How to Use the Internet Safely
The days when we could use the Internet freely and without worries caused by viruses and malware are long gone. With the growth in the number of Internet users, the number of viruses and hacker attacks has grown too. There are more and more people who are worried about their security when they are using the Internet and no one can blame them. We keep reading news about hacker attacks, government spying and similar activities that relate directly to protecting our privacy online.
How to Prevent Privacy Breaches
The good news is that there is a way to reduce the chances of becoming a victim of spying, hacking or similar illegal or semi-illegal activity. Actually there is more than one way to do that. But, before we go into details it is good to mention that what matters the most is the behavior of the Internet user. If you keep visiting suspicious websites and links, there is a great chance that your privacy will be jeopardized even if you use protection.
Top Security Tips to Use the Internet Safely
Here’s a list of security tips for Internet users that will keep them safe and protected while they are browsing websites or using some online services:
- To start with, you should not trust your browser completely. There is no browser that can protect you from websites that have malware in their codes. Most of the popular browsers like Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome can warn you about these websites, but they cannot stop you to visit these websites and there are cases when they don’t recognize the threat. Even if you have set some security settings in the browser and you use an antivirus, visiting a risky website can result in virus “infection:, spyware and malware that can compromise your computer system.
- If you are a beginner, you should definitely stay away from pop-up or pop-under windows or pages which usually require clicking on a link in order to get some software. Dangerous websites can create queries that look like regular messages in your browser or on your computer. If you notice a pop-up that looks suspicious, visit the website that is sending the message to get more information.
- Another good tip is to avoid providing personal information in order to get some products or services for free. This information can be abused by hackers. They can steal your credit card number or even your identity.
- Pay special attention to shortened URL addresses or addresses that include unusual dashes, numbers or special characters. Most scammers modify URL addresses in order to scam internet users. You should also be very careful with addresses published on social media networks like Facebook or Twitter or links sent via e-mail. Use some of the major search engines like Google or Bing in order to determine the real URL address of the website you want to visit.
- Always be careful when you receive free offers. Free videos, movies and music are certainly attractive and easily accessible, but they come with many risks. Use only reliable websites where you can use free content.
- When you are using some of the major search engines, be very careful with the search results and think twice before you click on any link. While these search engines do their best to remove suspicious websites they cannot filter them completely. Hackers and scammers use themes and links that can trick even experienced users. Learn more about the website and the URL itself before using a website.
- Finally, change the important passwords on a regular basis and try to use different passwords for different websites. If you use the same password everywhere you are at great risk because in case hackers get your password from one website they’ll have access everywhere. Try to avoid “remember password” features.
Using VPN to Protect Your Information
If you want to be sure that your privacy and security is on the highest possible level, you should use a VPN service. A virtual Private Network will alter your IP address and switch it with another. It is virtually impossible for hackers or any other unauthorized party to track you on the Internet when you are using a VPN service. If you need a VPN service provider that you can trust and a provider that is here to help you 24/7, use zoogvpn.