What is an OpenVPN Client and Why You Should Use It
OpenVPN is currently the most popular option when it comes to VPN encryption protocols. Launched back in 2001, it is also one of the oldest encryption protocols for VPN’s. OpenVPN supports Windows, macOS, Android and Linux devices, and is regarded as the ultimate option for security and flexibility. In this week’s article, we’ll talk about what is OpenVPN, how it works and how you can use it to your advantage.
What is OpenVPN?
OpenVPN is an open-source encryption protocol project you can use to keep your traffic secure, without sacrificing connection speeds and performance. The OpenVPN client is a collection of separate encryption standards and protocols, all set in place to guide your connection to its target destination, safely and privately.
How Does OpenVPN Work?
OpenVPN uses a direct client-server connection to ensure secure communication between the user and the internet. While connected to the internet, the client uses the physical location and other information of the server, meaning that the real client’s information is perfectly safe from prying eyes. From a technical aspect, third-party developers and services can enhance OpenVPN and mod aspects like logging and authentication. This is exactly how VPN’s customize their services and create privacy policies for their customers.
Why is OpenVPN So Popular Amongst VPN Users?
OpenVPN has a unique set of characteristics that make it very popular for both advanced and casual VPN users. High customizability differentiates OpenVPN from other protocols. Its balanced combination of flexibility and security are the reason why OpenVPN is so popular amongst many internet users.
The OpenVPN client works with both HTTP and NAT and can go right through firewalls, which is a unique ability of this encryption protocol. OpenVPN has the ability to hide in plain sight and use both UDP and TCP protocols. This makes it less vulnerable to hackers and more difficult to go around.
OpenVPN Client Compared to Other Protocols
Now that we’ve established how OpenVPN client works and why so many users prefer using it, let’s take a look at how OpenVPN compares to other popular VPN encryption protocols. In order to get the most conclusive results, we will look at five different categories: speed, reliability, security, encryption levels and device compatibility. Speed-wise, it comes in a close second place after IKEv2/IPSec. When it comes to security and stability, it is very stable and is the most secure client out of all popular encryption protocols. ZoogVPN’s OpenVPN client also uses 256-bit encryption, which is the industry standard. Combined with SHA256 authentication, it creates the highest encryption level that cannot be broken either by government agencies nor hackers. The OpenVPN client only lacks stable mobile and tablet support. Besides that, it is a very solid protocol as is the best overall protocol feature-wise.
OpenVPN also has its own advantages and disadvantages you should take into consideration before you decide to use it.
- OpenVPN is Open Source -Many internet users have tested the Open VPN Client, reafirming its reputation and trustworthiness as an open source protocol.
- Industrial Strenght Security – The OpenVPN protocol is designed to protect from both passive and active hacker attacks. It uses a security system based on SSL/TLS for secure data transport.
- Extremely Flexible –You can create a secure connection tunnel with just a single command. But, if you wish to go deeper into the client, you have a whole world of opportunities. You can modify the client as you wish. As its name suggests, OpenVPN is fully open to modifications and customization.
- Highly depends on other sources – The biggest drawback of the OpenVPN client is that it highly depends on other software and applications. In other words, 3rd party users are those that decide if this protocol has any value or not.
- Mobile Platform Support Still In the Works – The OpenVPN client for mobile platforms is still relatively new compared to the desktop version. It still needs some improvements in order to be the best mobile encryption protocol.
- Complex – using the OpenVPN client might be a challenging task for users who lack technical experience, so if you’re just a casual VPN user, you probably won’t be fiddling around and playing with the OpenVPN client.
OpenVPN client with ZoogVPN
At ZoogVPN, we value your online safety and privacy. That is why we offer the latest and most secure version of OpenVPN client. We have made it available across Windows, macOS, Android and Linux platforms. You can enjoy the highest level of encryption and know that our OpenVPN client has your back at all times. Take advantage of one of our affordable service packages and protect all of your online data now.