The internet may seem like a friendly and safe space at first glance, but the more you spend time on it, the more you realize how dangerous it is. The facade of privacy we believe we have is virtually non-existent. What if we told you that your IP address along is disclosed to every website you visit? See for yourself. In this article, we’ll give you a full rundown on how to find someone’s IP address and how to hide yours from prying eyes.
How to find an IP address of a person or website through Command Prompt?
You can get someone’s IP address with a little help of a command prompt. This method may be a bit too complicated for an inexperienced user, but you can still try it out. How to do it? Buckle up.
- First, you need to open the Command Prompt. Click the Windows + R button combination to open the dialog box. Type cmd and click Ok.
- Type ping in the Command Prompt screen, followed by space and the target website address. It could be anything, like Google.com or Bing.com
- Success! You can try it out with different websites. Moreover, once you have an IP address of a certain company, you can find its location with IP Lookup by simply copying and pasting the received IP address.
How to trace someone’s IP address using email headers?
If you happen to know the person and have received an email from them, you can try this method out. An ordinary email consists of more than just the text and optional attached files, it also contains the IP address of a sender, that’s why you need to be extremely cautious when dealing with dodgy newsletters and never respond to emails from unknown addresses.
So, here’s what you need to do:
- Open the email you’re going to trace and find the dropdown menu. In Gmail, Yahoo Mailand several other email services it is represented by three dots.
- Proceed to Show original in Gmail or Open raw email in Yahoo Mail.
- A new tab with the sender’s information will open, including multiple IP addresses and a time stamp.
- Copy the entire header text and paste it into an IP lookup tool.
How to find someone’s IP address in a chat room?
If you’re a chat room frequenter and want to find someone’s IP address, there are a couple of ways of doing that. An easier way of tracing your companion’s IP address would be to install the web browser extension. There are a few options in Google Chrome Web Store for the more popular chat rooms like Omegle (link) and Chatroulette (link). However, use any web browser extension at your sole discretion and never pass your personal information to anyone.
Another option, which seems to be much more harmless, is to use an IP grabber. It is extremely easy to use one and it doesn’t require any computer knowledge whatsoever. By the way, this method can be used not only in chat rooms, but pretty much everywhere where you can get people to click on your link.
An IP grabber creates a custom link to a website of your choice, but with a little twist – once the person clicks the link, it redirects them through the IP grabber to a YouTube or whatever website you’ve chosen, which essentially allows you to track down their IP and other information.
- First, open the IP grabber website (alternative)
- Choose the link to something that the person you’re talking to might be interested in, like a meme with Capybaras or a Blackpink music video, and paste it in the Enter a valid URL bar.
- Press Create URL. Once the link pops up with a whole bunch of other links, save them in order to track your companions.
- Go to Omegle and have your usual convos. Once you find your prey, send them the link (New URL or Google URL) and wait until they click on it.
- Now go back to Grabify and enter your tracking code.
Can I find someone’s IP address in a multiplayer game like League of Legends or Counter-Strike?
Luckily for humankind, no. Otherwise, we cannot fathom the scale of chaos that would ensue from thousands of raging gamers all over the world willing to hurt each other in real life over a videogame beef. No one besides Riot Games can access one’s IP information and Valve has shut down the feature that allowed players to find other players’ IP addresses. We strongly advise you to take a deep breath, just have fun while playing and don’t end up like this guy.
Can someone get my IP address? How do I avoid being tracked?
Your best bet is getting a VPN with strong encryption. A VPN service creates a safe tunnel between you and the internet, making your real IP address and other personal information virtually invisible to other users and even to your Internet Service Provider. Make sure that the VPN service of your choice has a military-grade encryption and a No Logs policy so that you can browse without worrying about your data being accessed by hackers and annoying advertisers. We also suggest you avoid Proxy servers as they are inferior in terms of protection and have no encryption whatsoever.
If you’re looking for a robust VPN service at an affordable price yet with no compromises, ZoogVPN is just the ticket.